I’m on Twitter! Now what?

You’ve taken the plunge and set up a twitter account. But you don’t feel like you really “get” Twitter — it moves so fast you don’t know if you can even keep up!  And how do you know who to follow? How do you get followers? It can be overwhelming! However, if you follow a few simple guidelines, I think you will come to love hanging out on twitter. I know I do!

I'm on Twitter. Now What?

Here are some simple Twitter Do’s and Don’ts that will have you tweeting like a pro (and gaining new followers) in no time!

DO tweet often. Twitter moves fast. Have you ever been at a conference where people were tweeting? The tweets move at lightning speed. Twitter is like being at a cocktail party; the conversation moves quickly. When I say tweet often, that means every day, multiple times. You need to be consistent. Don’t worry about tweeting too much. Unless you plan on sitting on twitter all day long, you won’t tweet too much. I try to schedule about 8-12 tweets a day, and hop on a couple times a day to engage. There are days I engage more, and days I engage less. But I always have tweets scheduled, which brings us to our next point.

DO use Hootsuite or another scheduling app. Unless you have unlimited free time, you are not going to be able to be on twitter all the time. But if you schedule your tweets, you’ll look like you’re on there more than you are! You can schedule the same post more than once, but change up your wording. Twitter moves fast, but if someone looks up your feed, you don’t want to look like a broken record. We’ll be coming back to Hootsuite in another post…it’s a timesaver in more ways than one!

DO tweet content relevant to your audience. If you find something interesting, chances are your audience will too. I often tweet out my blog friends’ posts, as well as relevant social media and photography posts I come across.

DO be polite. When someone retweets you, or shares your content, say thank you. It’s good manners. If you want to, you can keep track of it and thank everyone at the end of the week. I do it as it goes along because it gets too overwhelming for me. On Father’s Day, I tweeted some posts that I really liked…here is a tweet back from @LuckyMomofKK thanking me!

Screen Shot 2013-06-18 at 1.06.39 AM

DO engage. Notice how I shared a post I liked, but then wrote a comment about how I’d just like a magic wand to clean my house. @MomsFromScratch replied back, keeping the engagement going.

Twitter Thank You

DO feel free to join the party! I can’t remember where I heard this, but twitter is one of those places where you can jump into a conversation, and no one will care. It’s a great way to make new friends! Below is an example. I had tweeted a post from @4awritermom that I liked and @aintnorollercoa just hopped right in! Now I have a new twitter friend!

Screen shot of joining the conversation on twitter

DO use hashtags. A hashtag is a searchable keyword. It’s a way of searching content that you are interested in. Hashtags can also help you choose who to follow. If someone frequently hashtags a topic you are interested in, they could be a good person to follow and engage with.

Hashtag screen shot

Hashtag screen shot

Using hashtags

Twitter Egg HeadDON’T be anonymous. Fill out your profile and add your picture.  Don’t be one of those egg heads. I very rarely follow anyone without a picture, unless I know them personally. Make your description a good one…tell people why they should follow you. Not in those words of course, but give a good description of who you are. People want to know what you’ll add to the conversation.

DON’T tweet about yourself constantly! People will unfollow you very quickly! Of course you can tweet your own content but mix it up a little bit. If you really need help, check out this post: 100 Things to Tweet about on Twitter Besides Yourself.

DON’T be negative. No one wants to listen to someone who’s always got an issue with something. It’s a sure way to turn your followers off.

What are your favorite twitter tips? Share them with us!

If you liked these tips, you may also like:

5 Easy Tips to Build Strong Social Media Relationships

This post may be linked up to a number of link parties. Here is a list of Link Parties I participate in.

1. says

You’re awesome on Twitter. And I wish I had this post to read a year ago when I first signed onto it! Heck, I’m still as confused now as I was then. Great suggestions.

2. says

I think this is really beneficial for the people that aren’t from this generation of updated technology. I’m young, so I adjusted quick. But even I struggled at first. It seemed overwhelming at first and I gave it up, but eventually came back to it and picked it up pretty quickly from using it a lot.

Great post.

3. says

I know they told us at BBC Charlotte to jump on in to any twitter convo and no one would care! I have been butting in since then! These are great tips, and i have shared and shared some more. And what a great image! Love it!

4. says

I haven’t taken the Twitter plunge yet, but you can bet I’m bookmarking this post for when I do! Thanks for the great tips & info!

5. says

These are great tips! I’m fairly new to Twitter and just getting my feet wet. You bring up a lot of good points – especially about using HootSuite. Someone suggested it to me when I first joined twitter but it didn’t make a lot of sense to me. Now that I’ve been Tweeting for a few months, I think it’s a good time to revisit. Thanks for the reminder! I’ll be following you…:-)

6. says

Great tips Michelle. It’s good to know you can just jump into a conversation – I wasn’t sure about that. I use Hoot Suite but I’m sure there’s more I can do, so I’m looking forward to your post on that.

• says

Hootsuite is great – I couldn’t function without it honestly! And yes, definitely jump into any conversation you are interested in. People take it offline if they don’t want others to see it, so no worries there!

7. says

This is an awesome post on Twitter! Thanks for doing all that research for us. Sometimes, I don’t get Twitter. And your post makes it clear on the areas that I was unsure of. Thanks for that. hmm..I have to work on hootsuite. I really need some scheduling back up. Thank you also for the shout out in your actual post! Really honored :)

8. says

hahahaha! HERE’S the comment section!

Anyway – I love this post and think you’ve provided some great guidelines for beginners to Twitter. I love the analogy of the cocktail party because that’s EXACTLY how Twitter feels and operates. Don’t be shy about jumping in and out of conversations; that’s how you meet people!

9. says

Great post and tips!! I pretty much suck at Twitter – I try to retweet posts but I have no clue how to get into one of the twitter chats and I always forget to #.
    I pinned this so I can get back to it soon and try to apply some of the hints!

10. says

These are great – I consider myself fairly twitter-savvy after a long time, but I still have a lot to learn. My favorite is to be polite. I will say it always – even if I were rich and famous and retweeted thousands of times a day, I would still hope to be modest and humble about it. But I’m not! So I DEFINITELY respond to everything..eventually.

11. says

I love this post. I need all the help I can get when it comes to Twitter. I still suck at it. :) Maybe it’s because the minute I get into any sort of conversation, Gia needs something and then I am lost again.

• says

I bet you are better than you think! That happens to me too though, I’m in the middle of something and of course somebody needs me. It’s like how your kids ignore you all day long and the moment you make a phone call, they need something.

12. says

I have to be honest, I stop following people who tweet too much. There is way too much data out there and the easiest way to filter is to remove the constant tweets that aren’t providing valuable information. I prefer following people who provide fewer but profoundly insightful tweets to the non-stop chatter.

• says

I think I do tend to tweet and engage on twitter a lot but I don’t tweet things like what I had for breakfast or other things that no one would care about. I try to tweet things that I think my fans will find helpful. It’s definitely a fine line and I totally get way you are saying! For me Twitter is a lot of fun and I have gotten to know some great people that way!

13. says

Love Twitter! Great tips, Michelle. Thanks. I can easily lose track of time in Twitter if I’m not careful. Have to stay focused and use the tools like HootSuite.

14. says

Good tips! I know I need to schedule more! I will try to start that and use your guideline of 8 to get started. I have old post automatically going out and I try to tweet something and engage but scheduling has been a blank. I’m about to check out this 100 things post! Thanks Michelle!

15. says

Love these tips, Michelle! I remember being so intimidated by Twitter for so long, but once I got the hang of it, I discovered that I loved it!

16. says

Really great tips Michelle! I was so intimidated by Twitter when I first joined but now it’s probably one of my favorite social media platforms.

• says

Thanks Christine! I know I met you originally on Twitter before the Bloggy Boot Camp where I got to meet you in person! Twitter is awesome for that! I have met some pretty wonderful people that way!

17. says

Thank you SO MUCH for this Michelle!!! I don’t use twitter enough… it’s kind of that unknown space I just spit out posts I like and my own… I do always respond when I get a tweet though! I really need to look into that Hootsuite thingamigingy… See? I don’t even know what that is!!! Oh Lordy… can you come over and tutor me personally??? Please??? 😉

• says

Hootsuite is the best! I need to get that post written soon!! It’s really not that hard! But it can be addicting…I could be on Twitter all day if I had nothing else to do. :)

18. says

I am still somewhat new to Twitter and like to take all the tips I can. I love Twitter parties & chats. Awesome way to engage and connect. I also found that adding pictures are a good thing.

19. says

Visiting from Sharefest…and now following on Twitter! I would add to check out the emails from Twitter on suggestions of who to follow. I would look at the suggestions and definitely follow people if it looked 1) like they were fun/interesting and 2) they follow people back (i.e. if they are following 200 people and have 211 followers, then they’ll likely follow you back vs. people with 4,000 followers who only follow 600 people). But most of all just hang and have fun!

• says

Yes, yes, yes…all of the above!! I have met so many great people on twitter…it’s definitely my favorite form of social media right now! So glad to have connected with you!!

20. says

thanks for the inspiring Twitter tips – I so need these today as a newbie! saw your linkup on sitsgirls – have a great weekend.

21. says

Ahhh loving your blog! I’m like learning all sorts of wonderful things on your blog. I’ve always wondered how I could scheduled tweets and didn’t realised it could be done. Thanks again.

22. says

I love your tips, Michelle! Though I’ve been using Twitter to a while now, I learned a few new things from your post. Looking forward to see the post on Hootsuite, please make it detailed :)

23. says

I’m so much better on twitter than I was a few months are. The problem is, I’m not on there enough. These are really great tips that I need to put into action.

24. says

I’m so glad I read this post! I am 100% new to twitter, and feeling super overwhelmed. I don’t even know how to begin, but this answered a lot of my questions!

25. says

This is so incredibly helpful – thank you! I am new to blogging and Twitter, and feel completely lost with respect to both! This post (as well as some of your others giving blogging tips), are much appreciated. Thanks again!