You’ve taken the plunge and set up a twitter account. But you don’t feel like you really “get” Twitter — it moves so fast you don’t know if you can even keep up!  And how do you know who to follow? How do you get followers? It can be overwhelming! However, if you follow a few simple guidelines, I think you will come to love hanging out on twitter. I know I do!

I'm on Twitter. Now What?

Here are some simple Twitter Do’s and Don’ts that will have you tweeting like a pro (and gaining new followers) in no time!

DO

DO tweet often. Twitter moves fast. Have you ever been at a conference where people were tweeting? The tweets move at lightning speed. Twitter is like being at a cocktail party; the conversation moves quickly. When I say tweet often, that means every day, multiple times. You need to be consistent. Don’t worry about tweeting too much. Unless you plan on sitting on twitter all day long, you won’t tweet too much. I try to schedule about 8-12 tweets a day, and hop on a couple times a day to engage. There are days I engage more, and days I engage less. But I always have tweets scheduled, which brings us to our next point.

DO use Hootsuite or another scheduling app. Unless you have unlimited free time, you are not going to be able to be on twitter all the time. But if you schedule your tweets, you’ll look like you’re on there more than you are! You can schedule the same post more than once, but change up your wording. Twitter moves fast, but if someone looks up your feed, you don’t want to look like a broken record. We’ll be coming back to Hootsuite in another post…it’s a timesaver in more ways than one!

DO tweet content relevant to your audience. If you find something interesting, chances are your audience will too. I often tweet out my blog friends’ posts, as well as relevant social media and photography posts I come across.

DO be polite. When someone retweets you, or shares your content, say thank you. It’s good manners. If you want to, you can keep track of it and thank everyone at the end of the week. I do it as it goes along because it gets too overwhelming for me. On Father’s Day, I tweeted some posts that I really liked…here is a tweet back from @LuckyMomofKK thanking me!

Screen Shot 2013-06-18 at 1.06.39 AM

DO engage. Notice how I shared a post I liked, but then wrote a comment about how I’d just like a magic wand to clean my house. @MomsFromScratch replied back, keeping the engagement going.

Twitter Thank You

DO feel free to join the party! I can’t remember where I heard this, but twitter is one of those places where you can jump into a conversation, and no one will care. It’s a great way to make new friends! Below is an example. I had tweeted a post from @4awritermom that I liked and @aintnorollercoa just hopped right in! Now I have a new twitter friend!

Screen shot of joining the conversation on twitter

DO use hashtags. A hashtag is a searchable keyword. It’s a way of searching content that you are interested in. Hashtags can also help you choose who to follow. If someone frequently hashtags a topic you are interested in, they could be a good person to follow and engage with.

Hashtag screen shot

Hashtag screen shot

Using hashtags

DON’T

Twitter Egg Head DON’T be anonymous. Fill out your profile and add your picture.  Don’t be one of those egg heads. I very rarely follow anyone without a picture, unless I know them personally. Make your description a good one…tell people why they should follow you. Not in those words of course, but give a good description of who you are. People want to know what you’ll add to the conversation.

DON’T tweet about yourself constantly! People will unfollow you very quickly! Of course you can tweet your own content but mix it up a little bit. If you really need help, check out this post: 100 Things to Tweet about on Twitter Besides Yourself.

DON’T be negative. No one wants to listen to someone who’s always got an issue with something. It’s a sure way to turn your followers off.

What are your favorite twitter tips? Share them with us!

If you liked these tips, you may also like:

5 Easy Tips to Build Strong Social Media Relationships

75 Responses to I’m on Twitter! Now what?

1. More awesome info, I’ve also been told that using #’s in your “bio” is a good idea too.

2. Ilene
    says:

You’re awesome on Twitter. And I wish I had this post to read a year ago when I first signed onto it! Heck, I’m still as confused now as I was then. Great suggestions.
    Ilene recently posted…Old School Blogging A – ZMy Profile

3. Carli
    says:

Great post! I can’t function without Hootsuite!
    Carli recently posted…F.I.T. Interview: Abby Takes Acton & Changes Her LifeMy Profile

4. MomChalant
    says:

I think this is really beneficial for the people that aren’t from this generation of updated technology. I’m young, so I adjusted quick. But even I struggled at first. It seemed overwhelming at first and I gave it up, but eventually came back to it and picked it up pretty quickly from using it a lot.

Great post.
    MomChalant recently posted…A Beautiful Mistake Calls For A Happy Father’s DayMy Profile

5. I know they told us at BBC Charlotte to jump on in to any twitter convo and no one would care! I have been butting in since then! These are great tips, and i have shared and shared some more. And what a great image! Love it!
    Alexa (katbiggie) recently posted…Pin It! Tuesday! {Pinterest Linkup}My Profile

6. Nicole
    says:

I haven’t taken the Twitter plunge yet, but you can bet I’m bookmarking this post for when I do! Thanks for the great tips & info!
    Nicole recently posted…Travel Tips for New ParentsMy Profile

7. Seana
    says:

Love it, Michelle! Twitter is so much fun and can be a place of tremendous encouragement and affirmation, as well as sharing!
    Seana recently posted…How To Get MotivatedMy Profile

8. These are great tips! I’m fairly new to Twitter and just getting my feet wet. You bring up a lot of good points – especially about using HootSuite. Someone suggested it to me when I first joined twitter but it didn’t make a lot of sense to me. Now that I’ve been Tweeting for a few months, I think it’s a good time to revisit. Thanks for the reminder! I’ll be following you…:-)
    Allie Burdick recently posted…TWIN FIT! Swaddle, Sweat, Scream, Start Dinner (take a swig) & Repeat!My Profile

9. Dana
    says:

Great tips Michelle. It’s good to know you can just jump into a conversation – I wasn’t sure about that. I use Hoot Suite but I’m sure there’s more I can do, so I’m looking forward to your post on that.
    Dana recently posted…Say no to disco – there’s better seventies musicMy Profile

10. Vinma
    says:

This is an awesome post on Twitter! Thanks for doing all that research for us. Sometimes, I don’t get Twitter. And your post makes it clear on the areas that I was unsure of. Thanks for that. hmm..I have to work on hootsuite. I really need some scheduling back up. Thank you also for the shout out in your actual post! Really honored :)

11. Arminda
    says:

hahahaha! HERE’S the comment section!

Anyway – I love this post and think you’ve provided some great guidelines for beginners to Twitter. I love the analogy of the cocktail party because that’s EXACTLY how Twitter feels and operates. Don’t be shy about jumping in and out of conversations; that’s how you meet people!
    Arminda recently posted…Old School BloggingMy Profile

12. Kim
    says:

Great post and tips!! I pretty much suck at Twitter – I try to retweet posts but I have no clue how to get into one of the twitter chats and I always forget to #.
    I pinned this so I can get back to it soon and try to apply some of the hints!
    Kim recently posted…Jumping, Kicking, Squatting all Night LongMy Profile

13. Tamara
    says:

These are great – I consider myself fairly twitter-savvy after a long time, but I still have a lot to learn. My favorite is to be polite. I will say it always – even if I were rich and famous and retweeted thousands of times a day, I would still hope to be modest and humble about it. But I’m not! So I DEFINITELY respond to everything..eventually.
    Tamara recently posted…You Have No Power Here.My Profile

14. AnnMarie
    says:

I love this post. I need all the help I can get when it comes to Twitter. I still suck at it. :) Maybe it’s because the minute I get into any sort of conversation, Gia needs something and then I am lost again.
    AnnMarie recently posted…Old School BloggingMy Profile

15. Janine Huldie
    says:

Really great advice and seriously a great tool for all those who are just learning or need a refresher course. Thanks Michelle for sharing!! :)
    Janine Huldie recently posted…Father’s Day Flashback StyleMy Profile

16. catherine gacad
    says:

I have to be honest, I stop following people who tweet too much. There is way too much data out there and the easiest way to filter is to remove the constant tweets that aren’t providing valuable information. I prefer following people who provide fewer but profoundly insightful tweets to the non-stop chatter.
    catherine gacad recently posted…Old School Blogging – Alphabet SoupMy Profile

17. Love Twitter! Great tips, Michelle. Thanks. I can easily lose track of time in Twitter if I’m not careful. Have to stay focused and use the tools like HootSuite.

18. Joi
    says:

Good tips! I know I need to schedule more! I will try to start that and use your guideline of 8 to get started. I have old post automatically going out and I try to tweet something and engage but scheduling has been a blank. I’m about to check out this 100 things post! Thanks Michelle!
    Joi recently posted…Old School Blogging: Alphabet SoupMy Profile

19. Alison
    says:

These are great tips, Michelle!
    Alison recently posted…The Easy Way OutMy Profile

20. Kim
    says:

Love these tips, Michelle! I remember being so intimidated by Twitter for so long, but once I got the hang of it, I discovered that I loved it!
    Kim recently posted…Three If By SeaMy Profile

21. I haven’t taken the plunge (although I finally switched to BlogLovin’) but these are great tips. I just find the prospect so overwhelming!
    Single Mom in the South recently posted…Ask Single Mom in the South: Coping MechanismsMy Profile

22. Crystal
    says:

Run for your life! No seriously, these are great tips. I don’t use Twitter nearly enough these days. Keep reminding me! Please! :)
    Crystal recently posted…Facebook Hashtags and What It Means for Your BlogMy Profile

23. Rosanna
    says:

I’m on twitter too, but it’s been hard to appreciate it. I guess I’m just a very private person – or maybe just plain lazy :-)
    Rosanna recently posted…Listen to Your Favorite AuthorsMy Profile

24. just JENNIFER
    says:

I love Twitter! I think It did take me quite awhile to get the hang of it. I think I do all these things!
    just JENNIFER recently posted…Filled With GratitudeMy Profile

25. You rock the Twitter friend! :) Love this post as it is totally helpful! :) We think Twitter is the greatest!-The Dose Girls
    thedoseofreality recently posted…Would You Rather: Instantly Be At Your Ideal Weight Or Have One Million Dollars?My Profile

26. Oh my gosh, the egg heads and the people without a bio drive me nuts. This is all great advice. I’ll be tweeting and sharing! :)
    another jennifer recently posted…Wordless Wednesday: Fort Popham Beach, Phippsburg, MaineMy Profile

27. Christine
    says:

Really great tips Michelle! I was so intimidated by Twitter when I first joined but now it’s probably one of my favorite social media platforms.
    Christine recently posted…Turning CartwheelsMy Profile

28. Chris Carter
    says:

Thank you SO MUCH for this Michelle!!! I don’t use twitter enough… it’s kind of that unknown space I just spit out posts I like and my own… I do always respond when I get a tweet though! I really need to look into that Hootsuite thingamigingy… See? I don’t even know what that is!!! Oh Lordy… can you come over and tutor me personally??? Please??? ;)
    Chris Carter recently posted…Oh, Mama Needs Some Rest…My Profile

29. Andrea
    says:

I am still somewhat new to Twitter and like to take all the tips I can. I love Twitter parties & chats. Awesome way to engage and connect. I also found that adding pictures are a good thing.
    Andrea recently posted…He’s Had BetterMy Profile

30. Katy
    says:

Visiting from Sharefest…and now following on Twitter! I would add to check out the emails from Twitter on suggestions of who to follow. I would look at the suggestions and definitely follow people if it looked 1) like they were fun/interesting and 2) they follow people back (i.e. if they are following 200 people and have 211 followers, then they’ll likely follow you back vs. people with 4,000 followers who only follow 600 people). But most of all just hang and have fun!
    Katy recently posted…Prancercize for MomsMy Profile

31. kim
    says:

thanks for the inspiring Twitter tips – I so need these today as a newbie! saw your linkup on sitsgirls – have a great weekend.

32. kerker
    says:

Ahhh loving your blog! I’m like learning all sorts of wonderful things on your blog. I’ve always wondered how I could scheduled tweets and didn’t realised it could be done. Thanks again.
    kerker recently posted…NARS Orgasm BlushMy Profile

33. Delia
    says:

I love your tips, Michelle! Though I’ve been using Twitter to a while now, I learned a few new things from your post. Looking forward to see the post on Hootsuite, please make it detailed :)
    Delia recently posted…You asked: How do I share my blog on Facebook for great impact?My Profile

34. Hope
    says:

I’m so much better on twitter than I was a few months are. The problem is, I’m not on there enough. These are really great tips that I need to put into action.
    Hope recently posted…Running in the wrong shoes…My Profile

35. jennifer
    says:

I’m so glad I read this post! I am 100% new to twitter, and feeling super overwhelmed. I don’t even know how to begin, but this answered a lot of my questions!

36. Gayl
    says:

Thanks for the useful tips. Definitely on a learning curve with twitter and blogging
    Gayl recently posted…Please vote for your favourite blog post of the season!My Profile

37. Carrie
    says:

This is a great post! And I totally agree that someone who is always negative on Twitter is super annoying…drives me nuts.

38. Bre
    says:

This is so incredibly helpful – thank you! I am new to blogging and Twitter, and feel completely lost with respect to both! This post (as well as some of your others giving blogging tips), are much appreciated. Thanks again!
    Bre recently posted…A New “Vintage” Bathroom for our BasementMy Profile