This quick and easy pasta dish is a go-to meal for our family. With our kids’ busy sports schedules, I need dinners that I can either make ahead or put together quickly. I can make this delicious pasta with salmon and leeks in less than a half hour, which is a quick and easy meal for me!
My father in law is the inspiration for this recipe. He is an amazing cook, and I’ve been privileged over the years to learn a great deal about cooking from him. I don’t have his actual recipe, but he used to make a pasta dish with salmon and leeks very similar to this, and it was always one that I really liked.
It’s a very simple recipe…your main ingredients are smoked salmon, leeks, a red pepper, and of course pasta. I always use Barilla pasta, and with this particular recipe, I use Farfalle.
There really aren’t cut and dried measurements when it comes to the leeks and pepper. I use whatever comes in the leek bunch at the grocery store…this time around it was three leeks. I use most of the green part of the leek as well as the white. Leeks are a really dirty vegetable though, so make sure you clean them well or you could be eating sand! I only use one pepper and chop it as small as I can because my boys don’t like peppers, but you could definitely use a second pepper. I’d probably use a yellow pepper if I used a second one, for color. I just love the colors in this pasta.
The whole dish takes about 20 minutes start to finish. That’s what I call a quick and easy meal!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 leeks, chopped
- ½ of a bunch of parsley, minced (save a little for garnish)
- 2 cups white wine (I used savignon blanc because that is what I had, but it doesn't matter what you use)
- 4 oz package of smoked salmon, chopped into bits
- 1 lb Barilla Farfalle pasta
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Garnish with parmesan cheese and parsley, if desired.
- Start water boiling for pasta, and cook pasta as directed, while cooking the pepper, leek and salmon mixture.
- Add 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil to saucepan; heat on low until butter is melted. (Save 1 tablespoon of butter until later).
- Add chopped pepper and leek, cook until softened (about 3-4 minutes), stirring frequently.
- Add white wine. Bring to a boil, and then simmer until wine is about halved, about 5-6 minutes.
- Add salmon while wine is simmering.
- Season with salt and pepper, and add last tablespoon of butter. Mix well until butter has melted.
- Mix parsley into salmon, leek and red pepper mixture (minus whatever you plan to use for garnish).
- Add pasta to sauce slowly, and mix well.
Do you have a favorite quick dinner recipe?
If you liked this recipe, you might also like: