Clean Burnt Pots and Pans in Minutes

Clean Burnt Pots and Pans

Tired of scrubbing pots and pans? This is the absolute easiest way I have found to clean burnt pots and pans that doesn’t require soaking or scrubbing!

I will freely admit I have burnt my fair share of pots and pans. I like to cook, but I’m easily distracted in the kitchen. I’m always trying to do too many things at once. Unfortunately multi-tasking and cooking don’t go hand in hand.

The other night when I was making dinner, I had my chicken in the oven and quinoa on the stovetop and I went in the other room to check twitter (don’t judge me people…it’s addicting). I was making this Parmesan Lemon Chicken from Capturing Joy with Kristen Duke (which was quite good by the way…two thumbs up from all the kids), and completely forgot about the quinoa. Of course when I came back in, I had a burnt pot. I salvaged what I could of the quinoa, and set to work cleaning my pot.

How to Clean Burnt Pots and Pans in Minutes

• Add a tablespoon of powder dish detergent to your burnt pot or pan, then add water.
  • Bring to a boil on the stovetop. I usually find 15 minutes is enough time, but if you want to check to see the progress, drag a spoon or any other stirring utensil along the side of your pot to make sure the burnt pieces are coming off.
  • After dumping your water out, give your pot a few swipes around with a scrubby sponge or brillo pad and everything that is left should come off fairly easily.

What’s your best tip for cleaning a burnt pot?

Linking up with:

Pinworthy Projects Party
The Weekend Re-Treat Link Party
The Pin Junkie Pin Party
Foodie Friends Friday
Eat. Create. Party. Link Party

Comments

1. says

You must have known I need this. I have a pot right now soaking int he sink from yesterday that I refuse to clean lol I am about to go and try this method.

2. says

This is great. We have a big lobster pot that we use to make popcorn..or rather..Cassidy uses to make popcorn. The one time I tried I managed to burn the bottom of the pan in three places.
    Cassidy said, “I didn’t actually know it was possible to burn the pan that badly!”
    Tamara recently posted…All The Good Stuff Happens On Twitter.My Profile

3. says

Very good tip! I find just letting it sit in the sink overnight with soap helps too – I’m usually in no rush anyway. 😀 I’ve also heard of boiling water with vinegar and baking soda but never tried it. Have a great one Michelle! -Iva
    AwesomelyOZ recently posted…The Friendship ConundrumMy Profile

4. says

Definitely need to try this! As a non-cook and more pots burnt than I care to admit, my husband just rolls his eyes. We have a Mr. Scrubbie (I think that’s the name) and it’s saving my life… and making my husband think I’ve learned a thing or 2. Seriously, the best thing ever… until I read this!
    xo ~kim

5. says

Great tip! I’ve found it works without even boiling water in it though(none of those ackky fumes either). Just fill with hot water a splash of dish soap and a sprinkling of powdered dishwasher detergent. Let it sit for 30 minutes or more and VOILA- it wipes right off!
    Kari recently posted…Magical Scrambled EggsMy Profile

6. says

Wow what a great tip! Not that I ever, ever burn a pot!! ( Please, I burn them so often that the kids will walk in the kitchen and say, “Did you do it again?”) I have never heard this one before, can’t wait to try it. I’m sure I will get to very shortly!! Lol!
    Kathy Radigan recently posted…Third Time’s the CharmMy Profile

7. says

This is brilliant…. Love cleaning, love not having to kill myself while cleaning. Saving this one on desktop for easy reference til it is burned into my mind. Not that I burn a lot, I have a teenager!!!!
    Ray recently posted…Sports and PassionMy Profile

8. says

Oh my goodness! Thanks for the tip—I already have tried the boiling technique but never tried it with powdered detergent-love that. I am sure that works like a charm (I am remembering Chemistry from college how detergent breaks down other elements, lol:) Pinning it for a great household tip. Thanks for sharing. Have a great weekend!
    Rachel Kathyg recently posted…Easy Individual Fruit CrispsMy Profile

9. says

Brillo pads have come in useful many a time when it comes to burnt on-gunk. Powdered dish detergent? Is that for dishwashers? I guess I’m thinking of dish soap because I don’t have a dish washer–I have heard that dishwasher detergent is a lot more powerful

10. says

It’s been awhile since I burnt a pot. I can remember burning one so bad I threw it away. My husband was so mad at me because it was a “before me” pot that his mom gave him. Now I know they were really good pots (Magnelite?) I should look on eBay and see if I can find once. Anyway there’s a candy I make once a year, while I don’t burn it, the pots is very had to clean and I just let it soak forever. It slows up the process because I like to make batches back to back for gifts. I’ve pinned it. Now watch I burn something in the next week.
    Kenya G. Johnson recently posted…So I got a ticket. What’s the lesson?My Profile

• says

I try to stay away from the blowtorches. Matches too. I only use one of those long handled lighters. Haha. That’s the only way I can start a fire in the fireplace. Yes, you definitely want to stay away from ambulance rides…had that experience. BIG bill. It might be safer to make hash browns in the oven for me.
      Michelle Nahom recently posted…Let’s Get Real Blog Hop #34My Profile

11. says

I’ve been doing this with regular liquid dishwashing liquid. I don’t use the dishwasher (that’s an entire blog post) so I don’t have dishwasher powder, but I might invest in some if the results are even better than what I’ve been achieving, Michelle.
    Alison Hector recently posted…No “shade” from the SonMy Profile

12. says

It’s like you have been hanging out in my kitchen Michelle! This is a great tip. Thanks again for hosting with us at Let’s Get Real. We will make sure this gets pinned to our Let’s Get Real board so that you can save lots of us Twitter addicted food burners.

13. says

Michelle, this is a terrific post that anyone who cooks can use for reference! I’m so pinning this! Thank you for joining in our #PinUP Pin Party… Hope to see you again, there’s a new one every Friday :)

Trackbacks