I will admit it. I am not much of a baker.
I enjoy cooking a lot more than I enjoy baking.
I’ve had more baking mishaps than successes. I’ve burned a lot of cookies. I multi-task too much and forget about them.
Many years ago, when I was inviting to a cookie exchange, I made my mother in law’s kiss cookies, because they’re easy, and I figured I couldn’t screw them up.
It was a disaster of epic proportions.
[contextly_sidebar id=”JI05TmoZA1F4iQgmybzUdKNF2UUmnnLE”]I may have told you about it before, but I forgot the sugar in one batch, and the eggs in the next. By the time I realized what I had done, the cookies were in the oven. You can’t really fix that once they are cooking. I was ready to throw in the towel. Actually I did. My husband took pity on me and made the third batch for me. I never attended another cookie exchange.
I don’t have the same problem with cooking on the stove. I’m actually a pretty good cook, and I enjoy it.
So now that I have told you about one of my baking fiascos, I am going to share a cookie recipe. You might be wondering why on earth you would want to try it. And I wouldn’t blame you. But one thing I generally do well with in terms of baking is bar cookies…that is, if I don’t forget any ingredients! As far as burning goes, you have a little more more margin for error in the bake time with bar cookies. I haven’t burned a batch yet.
These chocolate chip granola bar cookies went quick. The kids all gave them a thumbs up…even my daughter, who IS a good baker. Plus, they use Hippie Chick Granola, which is my favorite. (You could use other granola though.)
- 1¼ cup flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- ⅓ cup light brown sugar, packed
- ⅓ cup white granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup of granola, crushed into smaller pieces. I used Hippie Chick Granola, Fiona blend
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Mix together flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Separately, mix together butter, sugars, vanilla and egg.
- Add the flour mixture slowly. You can use a mixer. I actually used a fork and hand mixed it the rest of the way.
- Blend in granola and chocolate chips.
- Press into square baking pan, cook at 375 degrees for approximately 14 minutes.
- Let cool before cutting.
Do you ever make bar cookies? Have you ever made cookies with granola?