Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #PartyWithBigY #CollectiveBias
Have you made plans for “The Big Game” yet? We usually go to a friend’s house…it’s always a small gathering of close friends. I look forward to it every year, no matter who is playing. The game is fun to watch (especially if it’s a close one, and of course it’s a bonus if one of my teams is playing), but some of my best memories have come from these friendships! And of course one of the highlights for me from our “Big Game” parties is the great game day snacks!
It’s no secret that I like to cook, and I like good food. With these friends, the party always revolves around good food and drink and good company. They’re friends we met when our sons just started playing soccer in kindergarten, and our husbands ended up coaching together. That was over twelve years ago…the boys are seniors in high school now.
This year my contribution to the party is going to be stromboli. I just made it for the first time over one of our ski weekends a few weeks ago, and everyone loved it. I’ve since made it a couple more times, and I’ve been experimenting with different flavor combinations. One of my favorites is this Barbeque Chicken Stromboli with spinach and red onions, so I’m going to share that recipe with you today.
Before my first attempt at stromboli, I always had it in my mind that it would be hard to make. But it’s about as simple as can be. My local Big Y makes their own pizza dough and sells it, which makes the recipe even easier. And stromboli is a great game day snack…it’s the perfect finger food, and adults and kids both love it.
I purchased everything I needed to make my Barbeque Chicken Stromboli at Big Y…I love the convenience of having a grocery store a few minutes from my house where I can get everything all in one trip. Obviously you can use all sorts of different ingredients to make stromboli, but the one thing you absolutely must have is pizza dough! You can find Big Y’s pizza dough right next to their Pizza Shop in the Food Service Department.
Before you get started, you’ll want to preheat your oven to 400 degrees (and if you’re using stoneware, preheat that right along with your oven). Sauté your chicken and red onions ahead of time too. I like to drain them on paper towels to get rid of any excess oil.
Then you need to get your dough ready. Flour your surface and your rolling pin before rolling your dough out, or it will stick, and you won’t have an easy time rolling it out. Roll out your dough, then cut it in half to make it easier to roll the stromboli. Add a little barbeque sauce, and spread it out across the dough.
Layer your cheese on top of the barbeque sauce, and your spinach, sautéed chicken and onions on top of that. Then roll your stromboli.
Pinch the ends shut to keep your ingredients from ending up all over your stoneware or baking pan. Mix a couple tablespoons of olive oil with a dash or two of oregano and a sprinkle of parmesan cheese, and brush the top and sides of your rolled stromboli with that mixture.
Cook for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Because I was using stoneware, I let them cool for a few minutes in the oven with the door open to avoid a drastic temperature change, which can cause stoneware to crack. Here they are fresh out of the oven!
Let rest for ten minutes before slicing with a serrated knife. Serve with extra barbeque sauce.
See how easy that was?! This recipe uses just one package of pizza dough, but if you’re cooking for a crowd, you’ll probably want to make several and double or triple the recipe!
[Tweet “Barbeque Chicken Stromboli [email protected]! Great #GameDay snack! #PartyWithBigY #Ad”]
- package of pizza dough
- 4-6 tablespoons of barbeque sauce
- ¾ lb of boneless chicken tenderloins, diced and sautéed
- 1 cup red onion, chopped and sautéed
- 14-16 slices of provolone or mozzarella cheese
- 4 cups of spinach
- several tablespoons of olive oil
- dash of oregano
- sprinkle of Parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. If you're using a pizza stone, preheat it along with the oven.
- Sauté your chicken in a tablespoon of olive oil until browned. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Using the same pan, sauté your red onion in a tablespoon of olive oil for a few minutes, until translucent. Drain excess oil on paper towels.
- Flour your surface.
- Roll out your dough.
- Cut dough in half, to make it easier to roll your stromboli.
- Spread 2-3 tablespoons of barbeque sauce across each half.
- On top of the barbeque sauce, layer 7-8 slices of provolone or mozzarella on each half.
- Add 2 cups of spinach to each half.
- Divide the chicken and red onion between the two halves.
- Roll and pinch the ends to close them.
- If using stoneware, remove it from the oven, and add your strombolis to it. (a baking sheet will work too, but it does cook better on the stoneware).
- Mix a couple tablespoons of olive oil with a dash or two of oregano.
- Brush the top and sides of the 2 stromboli with the olive oil and oregano mixture.
- Cook for 35-40 minutes until golden brown. Turn off the oven, and let it cool for a few minutes in the oven with the door open if using a pizza stone...drastic temperature changes can cause your stone to crack.
- After removing from oven, let it rest for 5-10 minutes before cutting with serrated knife.
Big Y is the perfect place to go for all your game day snacks.
If you’re having a big gathering, you might want to consider the Party Power Pack, which includes:
- two 30 inch super subs in roast beef, ham or turkey
- a party size pizza with one topping
- 4 pounds of super tenders
- an InVinceIble Pizza (Big Y fresh pizza dough, topped with their signature sauce, loaded with cheese, ham, pepperoni, hard salami, capicola hot ham, tomatoes, green peppers, roasted red peppers, onions and banana peppers with their basil pesto
- InVinceIble Sandwich (they start with a loaf of our famous LaCrosta Italian Bread, layered with a pound of meat (Ham, Pepperoni, Hard Salami and Capicola Hot Ham), provolone cheese and topped with lettuce, tomatoes, roasted red peppers, onions, banana peppers, mayonnaise and basil pesto.)
- Game Day Seasoned Wings Buffalo, available in Teriyaki, Beer Can and Honey BBQ.
For smaller parties, they offer:
- Party special: party size cheese pizza, 12 super tenders, one liter bottle of coke. $24.98 with silver coin
- Smaller party special: large cheese, 6 super tenders, one liter bottle coke $12.98 with silver coin
Whether you plan to cook for your crowd, or pick up some pre-made game day snacks, Big Y has you covered with these game day party favorites!
What are your plans for “The Big Game?” Are you as into the game day snacks as I am? What’s your game day party favorite?