Nothing says comfort food like soup in the winter. I make it several times a week. One of my go-to recipes is my Creamy Citrus Black Bean Soup with Hood Sour Cream. Not only is it a tried and true family favorite, but it’s also a quick and easy meal!
This soup would not be complete without sour cream…specifically Hood Sour Cream. It’s a staple in our house…it’s rich and creamy, and has no artificial ingredients or preservatives, which is important to our family. Besides soups, we use it in enchiladas, and as a topping for burritos, tacos, and quesadillas…yes, my family loves Mexican food! And of course we can’t forget about dips and dressings. Needless to say we go through a lot of sour cream, and we always have a container (or two) in the fridge.
One of the things I love about this recipe is that it is so quick and easy. I have three teenagers, and all are heavily involved in sports. Our weeknights are jam packed with practices. I need to be able to pull together dinner quickly most nights. Since I always have pretty much everything in this recipe on hand at all times, all I really have to do is chop…it’s a one pot meal! Most of the time needed for the recipe is just simmering on the stove. And if I need to save even more time around dinner time, I just chop everything earlier in the day and have it ready to go.
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cups peppers, chopped (I used a mix of green, red and yellow peppers)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil for sautéing
- 1½ teaspoons cumin seed
- 1 teaspoon chili powder (I used chipotle chili powder)
- 1 10 oz can Ro*Tel Tomatoes
- 4 cans 15.5 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 8 cups broth (vegetable or chicken)
- ½ lemon, juiced
- ½ lime, juiced
- ½ orange, juiced
- 1 cup Hood Sour Cream + more for topping
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Toppings: Hood Sour cream, extra lime quarters, cilantro, grated cheddar cheese
- Sauté carrots, onion, and peppers in olive oil until softened.
- Add cumin seed and chili powder, and sauté for another minute or so until fragrant.
- Add black beans, Rotel tomatoes, and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- Cover and simmer on low for approximately 30 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Add lemon, lime, and orange juice, Hood sour cream, and puree.
- Season with salt, pepper, and more chili powder to taste, if needed.
- Add an extra lime quarter to individual soup bowls if you'd like, and top with Hood Sour Cream, grated cheddar cheese and chopped cilantro.
*This recipe can easily be adapted to be vegetarian.