Rich in vitamins and flavor, this hearty ham bone soup with white beans and kale is a great way to use up your leftover ham bone. Plus it’s the perfect comfort food to warm your bones on a chilly or damp and rainy day!
HAM BONE SOUP WITH GREAT NORTHERN BEANS AND KALE
It has been damp and rainy here. Even though the cold weather has subsided, rain tends to chill me to the bone.
As far as I’m concerned, it’s still soup weather.
If you have a leftover ham bone from Easter, this is the perfect way to use it. If you don’t, make sure you pin it for later, because the next time you have a leftover ham bone, you are going to want to try this. It’s that good!
We had a ham for Easter. Usually my mother in law takes the ham bone and makes a split pea soup with it. This time around I asked if I could have the ham bone to try making my own soup with it instead. Believe it or not, with all the soups I make, I’ve never actually made a ham bone soup.
But I’m going to be doing it a lot more now.
And next time I will make a double batch because it disappeared way too fast. I managed to save a little to take a picture of…and to hide away for my lunch the next day (I do love my leftovers).
I also brought some over to my mother in law, and she called me to tell me how good it was. She’s an amazing cook, so that is high praise coming from her!
Are you hungry yet?
- 1 ham bone
- 3 strips of bacon
- 1 cup of onions, chopped
- 1 cup of carrots, chopped
- 8 cups of water
- 2 15.5 oz cans Great Northern Beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of kale, ribs removed, leaves chopped
- Salt to taste
- Add bacon strips to pot; cook, and drain on paper towels. Crumble and reserve for later.
- Add onions and carrots to bacon grease; cook until softened, about 3 minutes.
- Add your ham bone and water, and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer, and let it simmer on low covered for 60 minutes.
- Remove the ham bone, and puree the broth.
- Place ham bone back into the broth.
- Add Great Northern beans, continue cooking for 20 more minutes.
- Add kale, and cook for another 15 minutes.
- Remove ham bone and strip meat.
- Dispose of bone.
- Add ham pieces back into the soup.
- Spoon into bowls.
- Use crumbled bacon to top each soup bowl as garnish.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1610Total Fat: 92gCarbohydrates: 7gProtein: 160g
If you enjoyed this recipe, please save and share by pinning it!