The Strawberry and Lemon Caipirinha…a delicious fruity version of Brazil’s National Cocktail!
Hi, it’s Steph from “So, I’ve been thinking…”, back to share another drink recipe with you!
The drink I’m drinking right now, and I mean right this very minute…is a fruity adaptation of the traditional caipirinha (pronounced kie-purr-een-ya).
Have you heard of caipirinha? If you haven’t yet, you will. It’s becoming very popular and is super simple to make. Also – it’s delicious. If you like lime and you like lime cocktails, this might be your new favorite drink.
I’ve got the traditional caipirinha recipe posted on my blog, so today I’m going to share a delicious, fresh strawberry and lemon caipirinha you can make for yourself or make a batch for your next party (Cinco de Mayo or Memorial Day, perhaps?)
Fresh Strawberry and Lemon Caipirinha Cocktail
There are a couple of steps involved with this drink so you’ll want to plan ahead.
You can make the strawberry and lemon mixture the day before along with the simple syrup, or give yourself about an hour to make both of these ingredients.
When choosing your fruit use the freshest strawberries you can find and choose lemons and limes with a thinner skin, smooth not bumpy.
- 1 quart of fresh strawberries
- Juice from 3 lemons
- 10-12 limes, whole until needed (you will use 1/2 lime for each drink)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 750mL cachaça (a sugarcane hard liquor, you can substitute white rum if you can’t find it but the flavors are slightly different with cachaça having a stronger flavor)
Strawberry Lemon juice:
- Make a simple syrup: Put the water and sugar in a small pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- While making the simple syrup, clean the strawberries and place in blender or food processor, pour lemon juice over and blend on high speed until liquefied and smooth, no lumps.
- Pour the strawberry lemon mixture through a sieve, pressing through with a wooden spoon or rubber scraper if necessary to strain out the strawberry seeds.
- Once strained, add 1/2 cup simple syrup to mixture, stir and taste. Add more syrup to suit your taste. This mixture should be a little sweet.
To assemble the caipirinha:
- Fill a drink glass with ice
- Pour or spoon 2 oz strawberry lemon mixture into glass
- Squeeze 1/2 lime into glass
- Pour 2 oz cachaça over ice
- Stir to mix well
The strawberry lemon mixture can be frozen and added to the drink (you will scoop it like ice cream, it will melt in the glass).
If you are making only one or two drinks and don’t want to make a whole batch of the strawberry lemon mixture you can place one or two cleaned strawberries, juice from 1/4 lemon, juice from 1/2 lime and a teaspoon or two of sugar in a glass, muddle to mash the strawberry, add ice, pour 2oz of cachaça over ice and stir.
As always, please drink responsibly and remember…it’s your drink, play around with it…add more strawberries, substitute tequila, if you think it sounds good it probably will be…enjoy!