The Strawberry and Lemon Caipirinha…a delicious fruity version of Brazil’s National Cocktail!
Hi, it’s Steph from “So, I’ve been thinking…”, back to share another drink recipe with you!
The drink I’m drinking right now, and I mean right this very minute…is a fruity adaptation of the traditional caipirinha (pronounced kie-purr-een-ya).
Have you heard of caipirinha? If you haven’t yet, you will. It’s becoming very popular and is super simple to make. Also – it’s delicious. If you like lime and you like lime cocktails, this might be your new favorite drink.
I’ve got the traditional caipirinha recipe posted on my blog, so today I’m going to share a delicious, fresh strawberry and lemon caipirinha you can make for yourself or make a batch for your next party (Cinco de Mayo or Memorial Day, perhaps?)
Fresh Strawberry and Lemon Caipirinha Cocktail
There are a couple of steps involved with this drink so you’ll want to plan ahead.
You can make the strawberry and lemon mixture the day before along with the simple syrup, or give yourself about an hour to make both of these ingredients.
When choosing your fruit use the freshest strawberries you can find and choose lemons and limes with a thinner skin, smooth not bumpy.
[Tweet “Strawberry and Lemon Caipirinha, #CincoDeMayo #cocktail from @stephrufa and @dishofdailylife!”]
Fresh Strawberry and Lemon Caipirinha Cocktail
The Strawberry and Lemon Caipirinha...a delicious fruity version of Brazil's National Cocktail
- 1 quart of fresh strawberries
- Juice from 3 lemons
- 10-12 limes, whole until needed (you will use 1/2 lime for each drink)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 750mL cachaça (a sugarcane hard liquor, you can substitute white rum if you can’t find it but the flavors are slightly different with cachaça having a stronger flavor)
Strawberry Lemon juice:
- Make a simple syrup: Put the water and sugar in a small pot and bring to a boil. Once boiling reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool.
- While making the simple syrup, clean the strawberries and place in blender or food processor, pour lemon juice over and blend on high speed until liquefied and smooth, no lumps.
- Pour the strawberry lemon mixture through a sieve, pressing through with a wooden spoon or rubber scraper if necessary to strain out the strawberry seeds.
- Once strained, add 1/2 cup simple syrup to mixture, stir and taste. Add more syrup to suit your taste. This mixture should be a little sweet.
To assemble the caipirinha:
- Fill a drink glass with ice
- Pour or spoon 2 oz strawberry lemon mixture into glass
- Squeeze 1/2 lime into glass
- Pour 2 oz cachaça over ice
- Stir to mix well
The strawberry lemon mixture can be frozen and added to the drink (you will scoop it like ice cream, it will melt in the glass).
If you are making only one or two drinks and don’t want to make a whole batch of the strawberry lemon mixture you can place one or two cleaned strawberries, juice from 1/4 lemon, juice from 1/2 lime and a teaspoon or two of sugar in a glass, muddle to mash the strawberry, add ice, pour 2oz of cachaça over ice and stir.
As always, please drink responsibly and remember…it’s your drink, play around with it…add more strawberries, substitute tequila, if you think it sounds good it probably will be…enjoy!
For other cocktails you may enjoy, check out my Pinterest drink board!
Follow A Dish of Daily Life / Michelle Nahom’s board Recipe Box: Drinks on Pinterest.
About Stephanie: When she’s not chauffeuring her three children to school or sports, Stephanie is a social media consultant and marketing manager for a loyalty marketing company. Outside of her day job, you can find her creating new drink recipes and cooking with her husband. In addition to blogging, one of her passions is photography, and she spends lots of time taking and editing sports photos and creating unique photo gifts. You can see her photography at stephrufa.com, and her recipes, drinks and photography tips on her blog at “So, I’ve been thinking…”.
Follow Steph on:
Monday 24th of August 2015
This would be a great cocktail for a Labor Day party this weekend.
Sunday 23rd of August 2015
nice update on a caipirinha we all love!
Tuesday 21st of July 2015
I absolutely love caipirinhas! What a fantastic twist on this drink! Cannot wait to try it!
Cydnee/Tampa Cake Girl
Monday 11th of May 2015
Love this drink! So refreshing and delicious! Thank you for joining us at #purebloglove Pinterest Link Party. We look forward to having you every Thursday night at 8PM, EST through Sunday night. ~Cydnee
Amy at Ms. Toody Goo Shoes
Thursday 7th of May 2015
Gotta add this to my summer cocktail list, Michelle! I love Caipirinhas and this version is getting pinned...fast! Thanks for linking up at Best of the Weekend!