This Southwestern Black Bean Corn Salad with a creamy cilantro jalapeño lime dressing is perfect for lunch, a light dinner and even to add to your Cinco de Mayo menu! Serve over arugula or your favorite salad greens.
Once spring comes, I start craving salad.
I just saw a notice that our Farmer’s Market is opening back up in May. And our CSA won’t be too far behind that. I can’t wait!
There really is nothing better than fresh local vegetables. Especially fresh corn, right off the cob. It’s one of my favorite things about summer.
The taste is very different from something that has been sitting on a truck for a while.
Of course nothing in my salad today is local. But it will be soon…and it will taste even better then! I’ll be making it again, as well as lots of other salads. You’ll be seeing more and more of them show up on my blog as we get closer to the growing season.
Southwestern Black Bean Corn Salad
The salad itself is really easy to put together. If you’re using fresh corn, it will take a few minutes longer, because you’re going to want to cook your corn before you cut it off the cob. Same deal if you want to roast your peppers.
I used arugula here for my greens, but I think it would be nice with baby romaine or the larger crunchy romaine too. If you want to skip the salad greens, you could definitely do that too. It tastes wonderful without them as well.
I love that this dressing has a little kick to it, thanks to the jalapeño. If you want to tone it down a little, feel free to use less of the jalapeño though.
- 1 15.25 oz can of corn (if fresh is available, definitely use it!)
- 1 15.50 oz can of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 14 oz can of hearts of palm, chopped
- 1/2 cup of roasted red peppers, chopped (if using jarred, pat dry first)
- 6 cups salad greens (I used arugula...I also think it would be nice over mixed greens or chopped romaine)
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
- 1 cup of cilantro, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- Salt to taste
- Combine all ingredients in Cuisinart and pulse until well blended.
- Mix black beans, corn, chopped hearts of palm and roasted red peppers together.
- Spoon several tablespoons of dressing into the salad and mix well.
- Divide salad greens among 4 plates and spoon black bean and corn mixture over the top.
- Add additional dressing as you like.