Do you enjoy cooking with cheese?
I’ve got a treat for you! Goat cheese is one of my favorite cheeses to cook with because of its creamy mild flavor. I have a few favorite mixes I like to use for cheese stuffed chicken…my goat cheese stuffed chicken with caramelized onions is one, and the other one I am sharing with you today, Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast with Spinach and Prosciutto!
Don’t let it fool you. This is a very easy dish to put together! But it tastes so good, your family and friends will think you spent hours in the kitchen.
Goat Cheese Stuffed Chicken Breast with Spinach and Prosciutto
Start with a good quality goat cheese like Joan of Arc®. You’ll want to saute your spinach with some crushed garlic until it wilts, then remove it from heat and put it aside. Chop your proscuitto…a rough chop is just fine…and frizzle it in the pan you just used for the spinach. I don’t add any extra oil. I just use the little bit of juices that are left over from the spinach…probably about a tablespoons worth.
Wait for the spinach and proscuitto to cool (and drain any extra liquid) before adding the goat cheese, then mix it all together.
Place 1-2 tablespoons full of the goat cheese mixture on your chicken breast. Use chicken breasts that have already been sliced thin, or slice them thin yourself. If they are still a little thick, go ahead and pound them a little to thin them out. I used chicken breasts that were already sliced thin, but I did end up pounding a couple of them.
Roll up your chicken breasts, then roll them in bread crumbs, and secure with a toothpick if necessary.
Melt some butter and pour over the top. I’ve only got 4 in this dish, but this recipe has enough “stuffing” for 6.
Serve with a light salad. Some rice or roasted garlic bread might also be nice. It’s a simple dinner, but your guests will love it!
- 6 boneless chicken breasts sliced thin
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 5 oz baby spinach
- 4 slices prosciutto, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup of butter, melted
- Cook spinach and crushed garlic with 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil until spinach is wilted and garlic is fragrant, a couple minutes.
- Remove from pan and place in bowl; drain extra liquid from bowl.
- Leave a little liquid in pan, and add chopped prosciuitto. Cook for a minute or so until frizzled.
- Add to spinach.
- Allow spinach and prosciutto to cool.
- Once cooled, add goat cheese and mix well.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Place a heaping spoonful of the goat cheese mixture on the chicken, and roll.
- Secure with a toothpick if you need to.
- Roll chicken breasts in bread crumbs.
- Place stuffed chicken breasts in glass baking dish.
- Pour melted butter over the top.
- Cook for 30 minutes or until internal temperature registers 160 degrees.