Chicken and Mushroom Risotto is an easy recipe that’s absolutely mouthwatering! It’s full of rich flavors with that perfect risotto!
So what do you get when you eat a bowl of this risotto? How about a bowl full of creamy, savory goodness that’s both heartwarming and delectable?
Its got a creamy consistency of pure comfort food. And the delicious blend of chicken, mushrooms, and bacon? Your taste buds will be thanking you!
Mushroom risotto and chicken has a velvety, creamy risotto texture that is unbeatable.
It’s perfect for both first-time risotto makers and seasoned chefs.
The savory mix of chicken, mushrooms, and bacon is seriously a crowd favorite!
Mushroom and chicken risotto is a main dish that pairs well with so many side dishes.
It’s a classic comfort food that never gets old!
What is Risotto?
Risotto is a traditional Italian dish made from high starch rice.
It’s cooked slowly with broth until it reaches a creamy consistency.
It’s actually one of the most common rice dishes in Italy. Cooking the Italian way? We should always do that!
It’s packed full of simple ingredients and has a really yummy texture and flavor.
What Ingredients are in Chicken and Mushroom Risotto?
This mushroom risotto recipe uses simple ingredients you can find in pretty much any grocery stores!
Here’s what you’ll need:
- Olive oil: Gives a rich base for cooking and adds depth of flavor.
- Chicken breast: Tender meat that soaks up the rich flavors.
- Cremini mushrooms: Provides earthy tones and a meaty texture.
- Bacon lardons: Crisp bites that bring a smoky touch.
- Onion: A delicious ingredient adding sweetness and depth.
- Garlic: For that aromatic kick.
- Risotto rice: The star player that makes that creamy risotto texture.
- Dry white wine: Enhances depth and gives a slight acidic balance.
- Chicken broth: You need this to get the right consistency for the sauce.
- Parmesan cheese: Such a nice, salty flavor,
- Butter: You can’t go wrong with that butter flavor!
- Salt and black pepper: Season to perfection!
- Use fresh mushrooms for the best flavor.
- Choose a good quality parmesan cheese, not powdered!
How to Make Chicken and Mushroom Risotto
This Chicken risotto recipe will need a pretty large pan to fit everything! Here’s how to make it:
- Cook your chicken pieces until golden brown.
- Brown the mushrooms, then set them aside with the chicken.
- Fry your bacon lardons till they’re crispy. So yummy!
- Sauté the onions and garlic.
- Add in your risotto rice and pour in the liquids.
- Mix everything together.
- Garnish if desired and serve piping hot!
- Keep stirring! It makes that even, creamy texture and prevents sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Always add hot chicken stock to maintain the cooking temperature.
- Taste as you go. Perfect risotto is all about balance.
What Rice is Best for Chicken and Mushroom Risotto?
Arborio rice is the most popular choice for risotto due to its high starch content.
But carnaroli or vialone nano are excellent alternatives.
These rice’s all provide the creamy risotto texture we all love.
What to Serve with Chicken and Mushroom Risotto?
A crisp salad, garlic bread, or roasted veggies are excellent complements.
Here are some side dish ideas you’ll love:
- Kale Salad
- Roasted Vegetables
- Focaccia Bread
- Simple Strawberry Salad
- Four Cheese Garlic Bread
- Clam Appetizer
- Red Quinoa Salad
- Marinated Grilled Zucchini
- Roasted Baby Broccoli
- Easy Greek Salad
- Farro Salad
- Marinated Olives
- Blueberry Salad
- Sweet and Spicy Edamame
How to Store Leftover Chicken and Mushroom Risotto
Any leftover risotto should be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.
I find it’s best to eat it within a day or two for the best texture and flavor.
But it’ll actually stay good in the fridge for up to four days, so you can meal prep it if you want to.
How to Reheat Chicken and Mushroom Risotto
You can reheat leftover mushroom risotto in the microwave or on the stovetop.
Microwave with a bit of water, covered, until hot. Stir well before serving. Do this in short bursts to prevent it from drying out the chicken.
You can also just pop it back on the stove and reheat it there. Stir it over low heat until warmed through.
Remember, chicken dries really quickly. So just don’t overdo the heating!
How to Freeze Chicken and Mushroom Risotto
While good risotto is best fresh, you can freeze it in airtight containers.
Honestly, I just don’t think it has quite the same texture when it is frozen and then thawed.
But I get it. Sometimes you just need some yummy meals that are quick! So if you wanna freeze, go ahead!
When you want to eat it, thaw at room temperature before reheating.
When to Serve Chicken and Mushroom Risotto?
Risotto is perfect for dinner parties, date nights, or just a comforting meal after a long day.
I really like eating this risotto in the winter and fall though.
There’s just something about eating a warm, hearty meal during that season that I just crave.
But whenever you get the craving, make it! You won’t regret it!
Is Chicken and Mushroom Risotto Gluten Free?
Yes, this creamy mushroom risotto is gluten-free! So for those of you with a gluten intolerance or allergy, rejoice!
You should always check your chicken broth labels just to be sure though!
Sometimes companies will sneak gluten into things you wouldn’t expect!
And if you’re making a different recipe, I cannot guarantee that it is gluten free too.
Is Risotto Rice or Pasta?
Risotto is actually made from rice, not pasta.
The creamy texture actually comes from the starch in the rice.
There are much less starchy rice options and you wouldn’t want to use them in risotto because that’s kinda the signature texture.
If you’re looking for which types of rice are best to use, see my ideas above.
Is Chicken and Mushroom Risotto Healthy?
Creamy chicken risotto is actually full of protein, starches, and veggies.
However it’s also full of cheese, butter, and bacon.
Which makes it so rich and hearty! But not exactly healthy.
You can always use whole ingredients to make it more healthy.
And controlling portion sizes can make it a healthy meal option too.
Can Dogs Eat Chicken and Mushroom Risotto?
While chicken and rice can be okay for dogs, chicken and mushroom risotto is not.
It’s best to avoid giving them anything with onions and garlic as those can actually be toxic for dogs!
If you have any questions, definitely talk to your vet.
Chicken and Mushroom Risotto is a meal your whole family is going to love. It’s creamy, hearty and mouthwatering. And I can’t wait for you to try it! Enjoy!
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large chicken breasts diced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 7 ounces of cremini mushrooms
- 3 ounces thick cut bacon, diced
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 cup risotto rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or apple juice
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese (not powdered)
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- Place chicken broth in a small pot and keep warm on the stove over low heat.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon of olive oil in a large high sided frying pan. Add the diced chicken along with some salt and pepper to taste.
- Fry on a medium high heat until well browned and cooked through - about 6-8 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and set aside into a bowl.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan and fry until browned about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and add to the bowl with the chicken.
- Add the second Tablespoon of oil to the pan.
- Fry the bacon lardons until starting to crisp up. This should take 5 minutes.
- Add the diced onion to the pan and reduce the heat to medium. Fry until softened - about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for another minute - stirring constantly.
- Add the rice and stir well to combine, cooking another 2 minutes.
- Turn the heat back up to high and pour in the wine. Allow it to bubble off for 2 minutes.
- Reduce the heat back to medium. Gradually add the hot chicken broth to the rice mixture, about 3/4 cups at a time.
- After each addition, stir constantly until the liquid has been absorbed.
- Continue adding and stirring until nearly all of the broth has been used up.
- With the last cupful, add the chicken and mushrooms back in.
- The whole process should take about 25-30 minutes. The risotto should be creamy and the rice should be al dente. It’s ok if you need to add a little more broth or water to get the rice to the point of being fully cooked.
- Stir through the parmesan cheese and butter.
- Season with additional salt and pepper to taste
- Garnish with some fresh chopped parsley to serve if desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 511Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 93mgSodium: 2022mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 1gSugar: 10gProtein: 35g