This delicious and healthy vegan Lebanese Lentil Soup recipe with Lemon and Noodles is easy-to-make and inexpensive as well (just over $7 for a family of 4). You can easily pair this lentil soup recipe with a salad for a light dinner.
With my father in law being Lebanese, and my in laws living next door, my kids have grown up on Lebanese food. I have grown to love it as well. Certain Lebanese food recipes I have also learned to make…things like stuffed squash, grape leaves, hummus, and lentils are all favorites around here. I actually cook a lot with lentils because the kids really like them, and they’re inexpensive and healthy as well.
This Lebanese Lentil Soup recipe with Lemon and Noodles is one of those family favorites. I would venture to guess most Lebanese families make a variation of this easy lentil soup recipe. My mother in law passed the recipe down to me, and I know it was passed down to her.
The only thing I have done to it is add more liquid to the lentil soup recipe she gave me, and I usually add part broth instead of using just water. Sometimes I throw in spinach. You really can’t mess it up.
This lentil soup recipe is definitely budget friendly…you can make i for a family of 4 for $7.08, give or take. If you use all water, and no broth, you’re down to $5.09.
Let’s break it down with the ingredients.
- A 16 oz bag of lentils cost $1.29. Since there is 8 oz in a cup, your lentils for this soup will cost you $0.65.
- I usually use 4 cups of broth, 2 cups water. You can get a 32 oz container of broth on sale for $1.99…I usually stock up when I see the sales. Or I use my own homemade broth when I have it.
- An onion will cost you roughly $1.50, a bulb of garlic $.050. However, you only need 2 cloves, so we’ll say, $0.25 for the garlic.
- A bunch of fresh cilantro runs about $1.59 – $1.99.
- I stock up on Barilla pasta when it goes on sale for 10 for $1.00 apiece. So our pasta cost for the soup is roughly $0.20.
- Lemons are usually $0.99 each here, so $0.50 for the lemon for the soup.
We’re actually a family of 5, but my oldest goes to private school and often eats there instead. If I know he’s going to be home, I double the recipe, and we’ll have leftovers. The leftovers always go fast too. You may want to add a little more broth to your leftovers though, because it tends to absorb the liquid.
[Tweet “Delicious #vegan Lebanese Lentil #Soup with Lemon for just over seven dollars! #budgetmeals”]
Onto our recipe for lentil soup!
- 1 cup lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 6 cups water, or mixture of vegetable broth and water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch of cilantro, leaves chopped
- Broken spaghetti (I only use a little, maybe ⅕ of the box, quite possibly less)
- Juice from ½ of a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place rinsed and sorted lentils in pot. Add liquid, bring to a boil, then lower heat and cook until tender, about 25 minutes.
- Sauté onions in oil under golden brown. Towards the end, add your garlic. Make sure your garlic does not burn!
- Add onions and garlic to lentils.
- Add broken spaghetti and continue to cook until noodles are ready.
- Remove from heat. Add chopped cilantro leaves, lemon, and salt and pepper to taste.
What are your favorite lentil soup recipes?