Disclosure: I received a free copy of Bonjour Y’all! Heidi’s Fusion Cooking on the South Carolina Coast. I am sharing this recipe from the cookbook with permission.
This delicious easy Butternut Squash Soup recipe is perfect for your fall, winter or holiday dinner menu! It’s smooth and rich, with gourmet taste, yet simple to make, with only 6 ingredients!
Bonjour Y’all is a popular slogan at the Croissants Bistro & Bakery in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina. An unlikely grouping of words perhaps, but it fits perfectly at the home of a restaurant where European cuisine is served with a Southern home cooking flair.
When I received a little sneak peek of this cookbook in form of an online file, I knew it would become one of my favorites.
It’s no secret here that I have a family full of foodies who like to eat and like to eat well. What I love about this cookbook is all of the recipes are easy to follow…any home cook could make these! I’m looking forward to trying a number of them, including Bananas Foster French Toast, Heirloom Tomato Salad with a balsamic reduction, and the Angry Bulls Bay Clams that are pictured on the front of the cookbook…just to name a few!
I loved reading Heidi’s story of the history of Croissants Bistro & Bakery, and especially could relate to the personal relationships that she has come to create with the locals and employees. I live in a town with a lovely downtown Green, and I have gotten to know many of the shop and restaurant owners. When a business owner knows you by name, it makes a big difference! This is how Heidi’s business was built as well. I particularly loved the story of the couple who came to the restaurant after closing time looking for a loaf of bread, who now return weekly for her Butternut Squash soup.
Easy Butternut Squash Soup
We look forward to butternut squash season here every year. One of our favorite recipes here at home is this Butternut Squash and Sweet Potato Soup that was an accidental creation last fall. But we are always up for trying new recipes, and I must say this one was a winner!
This easy Butternut Squash Soup is so smooth, rich, and flavorful. And best of all, it only has 6 ingredients. Talk about easy!
The soup does call for homemade chicken stock, and the cookbook includes a recipe for it. I will say I didn’t follow their chicken broth recipe, but I make my own on a regular basis, so I did use homemade stock. We make big batches of stock and freeze it, so we have it ready when we need it. It does make a difference in the taste.
Ready for the recipe?
- 3 large butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 large onion, coarsely diced
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 2 ounces of cream cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Carefully split the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds. Season the cut side of the squash with salt and pepper and drizzle with 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Set cut side down on baking sheet and place in oven for 15 minutes or until squash is tender. When cool, scoop out the center using a small spoon.
- In a large bowl over medium-high heat, add remaining olive oil and diced onion. Cook onions until they become translucent, stirring occasionally. Add the roasted squash to the onions along with the chicken stock.
- Bring the stock to a boil, then reduce to a simmer. Stir on low for 15 minutes. Blend the soup using an immersion blender until smooth. Add the cream cheese and blend again until completely incorporated. Season again with salt and pepper.
If you’re planning a trip to Myrtle Beach, you should definitely check out Croissants Bistro & Bakery. If you’d like to order BonJour Y’all!, you can do so HERE.