This easy, delicious Balsamic Beet Salad with Arugula, Goat Cheese and Walnuts is perfect for lunch or a light dinner. Truly a farmer’s market favorite!
BALSAMIC BEET SALAD WITH ARUGULA, GOAT CHEESE AND WALNUTS
Growing up, I was not a big fan of beets. Let’s just say beets from a can were not my favorite thing.
It wasn’t until I married my husband and was re-introduced to them to by my in-laws that I started to like them. My in-laws cooked them all the time, taking advantage of all the local produce we have right in our town.
There is nothing quite like fresh beets from the farm. They are so sweet, it’s almost like eating candy. I might be exaggerating a little bit. But if you think you don’t like beets because of an opinion you had way back when, I really think you should give them another try.
These days they are one of my favorite vegetables. All three of my kids like them. If our CSA has them on any given week, they are going in my basket.
My father-in-law used to roast his beets; I tend to boil them. Either way, they taste wonderful.
Sometimes we eat them plain; sometimes I grate the peeled, uncooked beets into a green salad. I also occasionally make a quick salad of them with capers, red onion and an easy balsamic vinaigrette. They’re quite versatile. But my favorite way to eat them is in this Balsamic Beet Salad.
But no matter how you cook them or what you make with them, they’re delicious!
And don’t forget about the beet greens. I usually sauté the greens with garlic and olive oil for a side dish, or add them to lentils or soups.
- 1 1/2 pounds of beets (8-9 medium beets)
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar (I prefer fig balsamic)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6 cups arugula
- 2 oz of goat cheese, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- Remove greens, scrub clean, and cover beets with about an inch of water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until fork inserts easily, about 35-40 minutes
- Cool under cold water, remove skins.
- Allow to cool to room temperature; cut into quarters.
- Mix 3 tablespoons balsamic and 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in saucepan and put heat on low.
- Add beets, stir to coat, about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Allow to cool, then beets can either be used in salad, or stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 days until you are ready to use them. I prefer to let mine sit for a day and let the flavor deepen.
- Divide arugula among 4 plates.
- Sprinkle goat cheese and walnuts on top of greens.
- Add beets.
- Drizzle balsamic and olive oil mixture from beets on top, add extra balsamic and olive oil as needed.
To make this salad vegan, simply omit the goat cheese.
Nutrition Information:Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 725Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 71mgSodium: 852mgCarbohydrates: 79gSugar: 49gProtein: 28g
OTHER SALAD RECIPES YOU MAY ENJOY:
Tomato, Basil and Feta Salad